Monday, August 15, 2011

Confession, I Like to be Spoiled

I have a post-it on my computer back in my hometown that says, "Spoilers are my friends," and every time I would freak out about a spoiler I had read, I would look up at that and take a deep breath. I would wait everyday for a spoiler so much that I would check my "spoiler gods" websites every hour to see if something would be revealed. There are those who can't wait to read about what will happen to their favorite show and those who simply like watching it as it happens. Im one who needs to read before hand to enjoy the show. I have three nights dedicated to "spoiler" night. I anxiously a wait for that magical hour to happen when all will be spoiled for the coming episodes. So, am I a bad TV viewer for wanting to know everything before the episode airs?

I read an article from CTV: Canada Television, that a study was conducted at the University of California regarding spoilers. The study concluded that people actually enjoy the story more when reading a spoiler before watching and that people are able to connect faster with the plot line.

Let's take for instance, the season six finale of Grey's Anatomy. I had read way before the episode title was revealed that a gunman was going to come into the hospital. I then had read a tweet that McDreamy got shot. After seeing promo pictures and seeing sneak peeks, i knew what was coming. So while the episode was airing i felt the anticipation of the scene. It made it more exciting trying to figure out how the gunman was going to shoot him and how Meredith was going to react to that.

Another instance is, a read who the winner is going to be on The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I feel as a viewer, I can be able to see the connection between the two while knowing what is actually going to happen.

It makes my TV viewing more exciting. A dear friend of mine always tells me to stay away from sneak peeks and spoilers. But I can't help it, I see the spoiler and I click.

In my opinion, I do enjoy reading spoilers. In today's growing media technology world, more and more spoilers will be revealed whether you want it to happen or not. It's just up to you if you want to cross the spoiler line. So while you are reading TV Articles or seeing an Entertainment news program and they are talking about the season's secrets maybe you should watch it. It might do you good. However, even if you think you are being spoiled, the producers know how to keep the game going by giving out false information. So Beware!


No comments:

Post a Comment